Monday, November 3, 2014

Prayer Part II-Jesus’ Relationship with His Father

When Jesus was on earth, He was one with God the Father. He would walk alone and pray with God. After one all night prayer time with God, Jesus named His twelve disciples. The Bible doesn’t say much about what Jesus prayed about on these occasions, however, Jesus attributed all His miracles to God in heaven. He was one with His Father. He prayed that we also would be one with God. When we are one with God, we can know His will. When we know His will, we can pray prayers for others that are in line with what God wants to do. When we are one with God, we want to do the things God does.

“You did not choose Me. I chose you and sent you out to produce fruit, the kind of fruit that will last. Then my Father will give you whatever you ask for in My name. So I command you to love each other.” (John 15:16-17, CEV)

When we partner with God, we pray for others and God brings good to others’ lives. Praying for others and watching God make their lives better is like watching fruit grow and ripen on a tree. God wants that fruit to grow and remain, not get blown in a wind storm. When we pray for anything that God wants, especially when we pray for other people, God gives good gifts. Praying for good for another person is a way of loving. “If you abide in Me,” Jesus said, “and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit.” (John 15:7-8, NASB)

Five times in His last conversations with His disciples before His death, Jesus told His disciples to ask. For example, “I tell you for certain that the Father will give you whatever you ask for in my name. You have not asked for anything in this way before, but now you must ask in my name. Then it will be given to you, so that you will be completely happy.” (John 16:23-24, CEV) The other times Jesus said to ask are found in John 14:13, 14; John 15:7, 8; John 15:16; John 16:23-24; and John 16:26. Jesus said the same thing in one of His first sermons, The Sermon on the Mount. (Matthew 7:7, 8) If He repeated this idea so many times, He must have really meant it.


Just before He was crucified, Jesus prayed for His disciples. Here is part of His prayer. “I want all of them to be one with each other, just as I am one with you and you are one with me. I also want them to be one with us.” (John 17:21, CEV) During this same time, He promised the Holy Spirit many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment