Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Evaluating the Quality of Christian Fellowship

How can we know we are succeeding at being the kind of fellowship for which Jesus prayed and gave His life? Does there have to be an influx of 3,000 souls in one day? Well, that might be a good indicator. On the other hand, people in today’s instant-gratification culture sometimes jump on bandwagons because it’s fun, or everybody’s doing it, or the ads were compelling. They have an unnerving tendency to jump off again just as quickly. Here are some questions (based on the Bible principles) we might ask ourselves about the Christian fellowship or congregation we belong to:

1. Do I feel loved here? This isn't as easy a question as it looks at first. Do I really feel loved here? No matter how I act or look? Or do I just fit in because it’s what I’m used to, and I seem like the others and we’re all used to each other?

2. Am I listened to? Do I listen to others?

3. What can I or can’t I share here? Would I feel safe telling someone here the secret that has crushed my heart for years?

4. What happens when I sin against someone here?

5. What happens when someone here sins against me?

6. When was the last time we did something completely different? What happens when we get outside our comfort zone?


The answers to these questions, faced with scrupulous honesty by those who are already members of our church, Sabbath School class, Bible study group, prayer group, or other small group, will give us a reasonably good idea of how an outsider might feel coming in. If we aren't satisfied with the answers, there are a lot more “One Another” texts to study. And they all start and end with prayer and love, love and prayer, forgiveness, prayer, and love! “God is love.” (John 4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment