Thursday, January 14, 2016

Tools for Growth 01-14-16 (part III)




1. A Safe Place: One writer remembers a friend who is a massage therapist as an example of a safe place: “I often think of the room in which I have received massages through the years. My friend offers me a massage whenever I’m in the area and fits me into her busy schedule as a gift of affirmation and encouragement. The room is decorated nicely, the lights are down low, a candle burns, and my favorite music is playing softly. The temperature is set just right. As I lie there on the table waiting for her to enter the room, I feel my entire body beginning to relax and let go. There’s a profound feeling of safety and security that envelopes me and begins to thaw out my heart. Whatever bruises and battering my life has taken up to that point, I find myself being able to release. That room has become a safe place to me where I find real healing.”

God provides safe places for spiritual healing. One of the significant safe places is a sanctuary in time where our battered and bruised hearts can find rest and peace and healing. The Bible uses the term “Sabbath” to describe this place in time. All through the many millennia of history, there have been people who have enjoyed safe sanctuary there.  Rabbi Abraham Heschel, the well-known Jewish philosopher and theologian, put it this way: “In the tempestuous ocean of time and toil there are islands of stillness where man may enter a harbor and reclaim his dignity. The island is the Sabbath, a day of detachment from things, instruments and practical a! airs as well as attachment to the spirit. … The Sabbath is the exodus from tension, the liberation of man from his own muddiness, the installation of man as a sovereign in the world of time.” (Heschel, p. 29)

Imagine having one whole day every single week to stop life’s busyness and chaos, and pay attention to the heart and soul of life, to reevaluate priorities, to reengage with the most important people in your life, to restore and revitalize your heart, mind and body, to recapture your sense of destiny and purpose. It’s a sanctuary in time, a safe place away from the harshness of life, to experience healing and wholeness. It’s one of God’s great gifts to us, an amazing resource to help us experience abundance and fruitfulness and significance.


As one author noted, just as in the Indianapolis 500 super race the cars must have pit stops for refueling and retreading and restoring if they hope to complete the race, so the Sabbath is one of those “pit stops” necessary for successful life. We ignore it to our detriment.

No comments:

Post a Comment