Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Spiritual Discipline - Work and Career

A closely related issue is that of our lifework. Today the emphasis we see in the media, in educational advertising, and all around us is to find the job that will support us “in the way to which we’d like to become accustomed.” How much money will it make? Yet, if we pay attention, there is a growing amount of media, from movies to books to editorials in major magazines and newspapers dedicated to debunking that attitude, trying to teach people that they will be far happier and more motivated if they choose careers that actually fulfill their heart’s knowledge of who they were meant to be. There is not much point to making lots of money if you are so busy making it that you have no time to enjoy it.

Further, there are highly visible organizations and even well-known celebrities leading the way by dedicating time and resources to reducing hunger, poverty, disease, abuse, and violence in the world. Are we content to let them lead the way, satisfied that they can afford it? Or, are we as followers of Jesus also dedicating time, resources and careers to righting the world’s wrongs?

God sometimes calls someone in an unmistakable way, usually to do something the person feels completely powerless to do. Most of the time, though, He seems to leave our career choice up to us. This doesn’t mean He doesn’t have a deep interest in the issue, and some advice, if we’d listen for it.

What did Jesus do? Well, Jesus was one of those who is definitely and directly called, put on earth for a particular task, and aware of it from childhood. He allowed nothing to get between Him and His mission, not even the preaching of the rabbis or what they saw as the rules. He was here to love people. Dare we say that each of us, no matter if we’re telephone operators or garbage collectors or lawyers or waitresses, is here for the same reason?


Questions to ask: How did/will I choose my career? In what ways can I use my work to serve God? In what ways can I use my work to love others? How would I know if God were asking me to change jobs, and what would I do? How can I remain aware of Jesus walking with me day to day where I work?

No comments:

Post a Comment