Friday, May 1, 2015

The Spiritual Discipline of Dress

Of all cultural issues, this is one of the most “hot potato” topics, at least among conservative Christians. Because of issues of modesty and purity, what we wear goes far beyond tastes or fashions. But we are often guilty of making modesty or purity the excuse for pushing a particular style we like and are used to, when another fashion might be just as modest, and more becoming to the person we are trying to persuade of our view, which might be our own child.

What did Jesus do? This is an interesting subject to pursue. Jesus, in fact, never mentioned dress at all except to rebuke the religious leaders who made their clothing too “holier-than-thou” and a subject of pride! See Mark 12:38 and Luke 20:46. He wore the dress of those around Him, and it’s clear by context even if not mentioned that what He wore was a simple, humble version. The only thing we know about for sure is His seamless tunic for which the soldiers gambled at his death, probably spun and woven for Jesus by His mother.


Questions to ask: What are the moral issues of dress? What are the dress customs of my personal culture, and how are they different from or similar to those of the culture around me? Are there ways I may use my dress to build bridges rather than walls? Whom do I seek to please when I choose what to buy, and what to wear on a given day? What might those in the cultures around me think when they first see me? Is this what I want them to think?

No comments:

Post a Comment