Monday, April 18, 2016

Forgiveness (04-18-16)

Simon Wiesenthal, the Jewish Holocaust survivor who later became the famous Nazi hunter, writes about being in a Polish concentration camp during the Nazi regime. One afternoon he was assigned to clean rubbish out of a hospital that Germans had improvised for wounded soldiers carried in from the Eastern front. A nurse walked over to him, took his arm, ordered him to come with her, and led him upstairs. They walked along a row of stinking wounded to the bedside of a young soldier. The boy’s head was wrapped in yellow, pus-stained bandages. He was dying. He was a 22-year-old SS trooper.

The solder, whose name was Karl, reached out and grabbed Wiesenthal’s hand tightly. “I have to speak to a Jew,” he gasped. “I have to confess the terrible things I’ve done so that I can be forgiven. So I can die in peace.” His ugly story came gushing out. He was fighting near a Russian village where a few hundred Jewish people had been rounded up. His group was ordered to plant full cans of gasoline in a certain house. Then they marched about 200 people into the house, crammed them in until they could hardly move. They threw grenades through the windows to set the house on fire. The soldiers were ordered to shoot anyone who tried to jump out of a window.

“We shot,” the soldier gasped, tears streaming down his face. “Oh God … I shall never forget it; it haunts me every minute of every day!”

The young man paused and then said, “I know that what I’ve told you is terrible. I have longed to talk about it to a Jew and beg forgiveness from him. I know that what I’m asking is almost too much, but without your answer I cannot die in peace.”

Imagine how Wiesenthal felt at that moment. This soldier’s ugly story didn’t simply concern unnamed, faceless strangers far away. At least 89 of Wiesenthal’s own relatives had been killed by the Nazis. And now he was locked in a concentration camp, doomed to die with all the others. This soldier owed him and his people a horrendous debt. Wasn’t it time to demand payment?

Even the best among us spend time demanding payment, don’t we? Think about it. Doesn’t someone owe you something? An apology? A second chance? A fresh start? An explanation? A thank you? A childhood? A marriage?

If we were to think about it, we could all make a list of lots of people who are in our debt. Parents should have been more protective and nurturing. Children should have been more appreciative. Spouses should be more sensitive. Employers should have been more attentive and understanding. And the list goes on.


The question is, what are we going to do with those in our debt? Here’s what Simon Wiesenthal did at the beside of that dying and repenting Nazi soldier. “I stood up and looked in his direction, at his folded hands, his pleading eyes. At last I made up my mind and without a word I left the room.” So the German died without the forgiveness he so much wanted and needed. Wiesenthal survived the concentration camp. But he couldn’t forget that SS trooper. He wondered, troubled, for years whether he should have forgiven the soldier. He told his story in the book Sunflower and ended it with the haunting question for every reader. “What would you have done?” What do you do with those who are in your debt?

No comments:

Post a Comment